Friday 21 March 2014

Starburst birthday Pop-up Card in a Box

Whether you call them a Card in a Box, Box Card, or Pop up Box Card, they're THE project of the moment. I LOVE a fancy fold so I got on the bandwagon back in January & shared how to make them in my Feb classes too. Today, I'm sharing one I made for my dear friend Kellie's birthday.
I based my box size on this fab tutorial by Monica Gale, (who I think may have started the box card craze). Monica's measurements were in Cm's & using A4 paper, which suits me best. Each panel is 7cm wide & the overall height is 15cm when folded flat. If you're more comfortable working in inches, you can try this great tute at Splitcoast Stampers.
 
To decorate the box, I used the Starburst Sayings & Spiral Spins stamp sets (trying saying that fast!) from the Occasions Catalogue with some fab (& free) SAB Sweet Sorbet DSP. I followed Monica's tute except that I added 3 inserts instead of two, as the 'Oh Happy Day' image was quite large & I wanted to add more smaller circles. These pics show each layer clearer.
The circles on the 3rd insert are attached to some window sheet/transparency to create movement & help then to pop out behind the 'Happy Day' layer.  Here's the view from the back too.
One final pic to show you how it looks fully flat. I used the Envelope Punch Board to make a matching envelope - easy!
Simpler Starburst Box
The above card was actually the 2nd Starburst version I made. Here's the first one.
As you can see, I used 2 inserts for this one, kept the stamped layers simpler & added a few gold sequins for a bit of bling (which I forgot on version 2).
Hope you like this both versions of my box card. I have 2 more different sized versions to share with you next. Until then, thanks for visiting.
Inky wishes, Di

PS: There's just 10 days left of Sale-a-bration, so if you'd like the Sweet Sorbet DSP free (or any other awesome SAB item), place your $90AU order by March 31st.
Find out more about Sale-a-bration here.


Supplies
Stamps: Starburst Sayings, Spiral Spins (Occasions Catalogue)
Card/Paper: crumb cake, whisper white, calypso coral, crisp cantaloupe, bermuda bay, pool party card, Sweet Sorbet DSP (Sale-a-bration)

Ink: bermuda bay, calypso coral, coastal cabana ink pads
Accessories: in-colour Boutique Details, gold sequin trim, basic rhinestones, candy dots
Tools: Big Shot. Starburst Framelits dies,  circle punches - 1-3/4, 1-3/8, 1-1/4 ,1, 3/4, 1/2 inches


3 comments:

Boni MontaƱo said...

I love everything about this card! THank you so much for sharing. Love the inspiration! :)

Patrice said...

Wow Di this is gorgeous. Lots of bright and fun details - I'm sure Kellie will love it!

Anonymous said...

Love this card in a box - it is gorgeous and so easy with those starburst framelits. Also, I think I need to buy the spiral spins too, Thanks for sharing, Naomi Cramb (fellow demonstrator)