Tuesday 20 March 2012

Scallop envelope die - looking back & instructions

Hi there!
After my last post about the scallop envelope die, I went back through my blog & was surprised to find none of my other scallop envelope creations there. Turns out I was a very slack blogger in this regard! The excuse I'm going with, is that we got the Big Shot in April 2010, so I was clearly too busy playing with it to blog. Whatever the reason, I thought a retrospective look at some projects could be fun & useful to those of you who've just become friends with the Big Shot.

I'm going to leave the pics small, since there are lots, but you can click on them to get a bigger view. Since many of the papers etc have retired & my memory is not that good, I won't include a full supply list, but if you have any questions about anything, just leave me a comment & I'll do my best to answer. I'll also add a couple of instruction sheets from my classes at the bottom of the post, to make the basic boxes.

Vintage vogue mini scallop box
This little razzleberry box holds 2 cards & is made with just 2 scallop envelopes, attached by their side flaps. The project makes me smile, as rich razzleberry was a brand new colour at the time I made it & I was completely obsessed ....& I still love it. The stamp set I used was Vintage Vogue, which is still available.

Double scallop box
This useful little box is actually two of the mini scallop boxes, adhered back to back. It's a great little desk holder for post-it notes, or gift box for cards. The yellow version was actually one of the class projects at my very first Big Shot class in 2010. Still obsessed with butterflies back then! The image is from the Butterfly Prints set & is of course punched with the butterfly punch.

Wide scallop box
This is a similar box style to the one in my last post. This one was was demonstrated at the Stampin' Up! convention in 2010. I thought it was so cute, that I had to try it myself. The little cup is a single called 'Share a Cup'. It's a single cup stamp, with hello underneath (as shown in the bottom right card) & is little bargain at $11.95. It's perfect for trying the masking technique I've used here, to layer up the cups.

Square scallop box
Here are a couple more of the boxes that was the demo project in my last post. The yellow version was one I made for Cara - I thought it would be fun for her to have a monogram box. The baja breeze version includes images from the super cute Fox & Friends - it has a little turtle on the other side.
Scallop edge handbag
I've made tons of these little handbags, but this is the only one I've apparently photographed. It's not made totally with the die, but the cute scallop edge & facing is courtesy of the die. I think my friend Leanne received a swap for the basic handbag & then I worked out that I could add a pretty scallop edge to it. I don't have a tutorial link, but I thought I'd show you the bag flattened out on each side, so you can hopefully see the principle.

My Scallop Box Instruction Sheets
If you've enjoyed seeing these projects & want to make your own, you can download my class information sheets for the box projects shown. I hope you find these helpful.

Double Scallop Box:  Click here!
Square Scallop Box: Click here!

Phew! That was a long post. I hope this retrospective has given you some more ideas for the scallop envelope die. I actually have one more original idea (I think) for the die, but looking back has made me think it could be a fun Convention swap this year, so I'll save that one for now. It's bedtime for me now though, so I'll say bye for now.

Thanks for visiting & please leave me a comment if you like the projects or the instructions....or just want to say hi. Until next time,
Inky wishes, Di

Main Supplies - All SU
Tools: Big Shot, Scallop Envelope die


7 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow, Di!

So many exciting projects to wake up to this morning!

You've come up with so many uses for that little envelope die.

I have to mention that I freaked out a little when I saw your Share a Cup project, as just yesterday I made a Mother's Day card using that cute little stamp, the little Itty Bitty flower, and used almost the same colours that you did!!! A case of great minds...? ;) I won't be posting it for a while, though, as I'm thinking of using it for an upcoming class.

Well, I won't keep you from your crafting any longer as I want to see MORE!!!

Keep up the great work and thank you for always being so willing to share your ideas.

Andrea

Teresa Leggo said...

This is so awesome Di, thanks for sharing. I might just have to get out the scallop envelope die and have a play. Thanks for the inspiration

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Wow, I love these boxes! My fav is the two back to back. Saw you on Kim Score's blog. I want this die but don't have it yet, but I know where I can borrow one! Thanks for posting these and for instructions!

Rachel Browne said...

they are such great projects Di, i have used that die heaps for making the post it holder that you kindly showed me how to make,now i stick a magnet on the back & it goes on the fridge! Love your work, as per usual it is just a joy to visit your blog, hugs to you x

Anonymous said...

I love these, Di - Bron Eastley is the Queen of Easel Cards, you're the Queen of the Scallop Boxes! Really appreciate you sharing all the varieties, and your tutorials. You're an angel. xoxox

KimB said...

Fabulous retrospective Di! All the little boxes and cards look just gorgeous. As yet I haven't bought the envelope die but you are doing a good job of convincing me I should!! Looking forward to seeing that convention swap :)
Kim xxx

H2 :) said...

Wow, fabulous post Di. It was great to see all those awesome ideas together, showing off the versatility of the s/envelope die. TFS Love the teacup card & box set - I think I need to buy that stamp now. :)