Wednesday 30 December 2009

Christmas Pocket Card & Explosion Box

Here are a few more Christmas projects from my Christmas gifts class back on 6 December (seems such a long time ago now). while these are themed for Christmas, I hope they give you some ideas for everyday gifts too.
Photo/Gift Card Pocket Card
These are a great way to send a photo, letter or gift card. At the class, I showed how to make a photo & gift card version. Gift cards are such a popular gift item, but can sometimes seem a bit impersonal, so I like to present them nicely, to suit the recipient.The basic pocket is a normal half A4 sheet of riding hood red card scored on the long side at 4.5cm & 14.5cm, which makes a folder 10 x 14.8cm. The pocket is secured with 2 brads, but you could also use double sided tape. For this one, I scalloped a strip of olive card, & then attached it & some Holiday Wishes DSP to the top flap. I stamped the greeting image from Season of Joy twice, once in riding hood red & once in old olive, then punched or cut out part of the image. I mounted the stamped piece to some olive card, then to the front with dimensionals.

Here is a view of the inside, complete with a piccie of us (which was printed 2 to a page on 10x15cm photo paper). I included 2 cards for a greeting & photo/gift card. I forgot to take a pic of the gift card side, but the white panel was punched on either side with the slit punch to hold the gift card. If you'd like some more ideas for pocket cards, you can see some more here & here.

I can also make to order when you order a Stampin' Up! gift certificate from me. Just contact me if you'd like more information.

Holiday Wishes Explosion Box

The second class project was an explosion box & matching tag. I like how the base of this box opens up like a greeting when you take the lid off.Again, I used more riding hood red card & Holiday Wishes DSP – there are so many different designs in this pack that you can create lots of different looks. The finished box lid is 6 x 6 x 2.5cm & the stamped base is 5.8 x 5.8 x 5.8cm, so you get a good snug fit with the lid. I made a matching tag using the 'Curly Label' punch bundle, which includes the curly label punch & matching 'Cute & Curly' stamp set, which I think looks really good with this DSP pattern. I tied some choc chip taffeta around the box & through a slot in the tag made with the horizontal slot punch. This way, you get a nice flat knot & can slide the ribbon off without untying it. Here's a close up of the finished tag.One more Gift Card Folder I made this folder with the leftovers from the explosion box just for the sake of playing & showing the girls at the class! The base card piece was approx 21 x 13cm.With this version, you fold in & partially seal a centre flap & use the word window punch to make an opening to hold the gift card.After making this one, I adjusted the design, so that the card flap folds back on the left side to make a pocket & I included a panel for a greeting on the right, which I liked better. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics before giving them to a customer (oops), but at least Renee & Annette will know what I'm waffling about (hi girls).

One final thing I'll mention is the extra punched kiwi layer around the greeting. To do it, I punched 2 curly labels, attached one in the opposite direction to the greeting & cut the second one in two & attached it to the back.

OK, that's all for now. I still need to show you my Christmas card design (or one of them anyway, as I forgot to take pics of one of those too – grin!) Thanks again for visiting & hope to see you again.

Inky wishes
Di

Supplies
Pocket Card
Stamps: Season of Joy
Card/Paper: riding hood red, whisper white, Holiday Wishes DSP
Ink: riding hood red, old olive
Punches: scallop edge, ½ inch circle, ¼ inch circle, slit punch

Explosion Box
Stamps: Cute & Curly, Snow Swirled, Occasional Greetings
Card/Paper: riding hood red, whisper white, Holiday Wishes DSP
Ink: riding hood red
Accessories: chocolate chip taffeta ribbon
Tools: curly label punch, horizontal slot punch, word window punch

Gift Card Folder
Stamps: Cute & Curly, Snow Swirled
Card/Paper: riding hood red, whisper white, Holiday Wishes DSP
Ink: riding hood red, chocolate chip
Accessories: chocolate chip taffeta ribbon
Tools: curly label punch, horizontal slot punch, word window punch

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Fabulous projects Di!All have gone into my faves! TFS! (Lovely photo of your sweet family too!)

Karen said...

Oh geese Di - your putting me to shame! lol

Love your projects!! Thanks for the chrissie card too - it got to me today - soooooooo cute! lol

Karen
x